Monday, October 1, 2012

VeganMoFo Day One

I've always had this slight knowledge of VeganMoFo hidden somewhere in the back of my mind, but it wasn't until today when I saw several people online mentioning it that I decided to actually look it up. Now that I understand what it is, I'm totally intrigued! I had a bunch of friends who used to do NaNoWriMo (I even tried myself once...emphasis on tried) and have always been interested by these sort of challenges. So I'm definitely going to participate in this, even though I'm a bit late. I am not following a specific theme, as it seems most people are, but I will still try my best to post every day (and since I'm not prepared at all, it'll probably end up just being a summary of what I cook every day, hopefully more than that though). I'm too late to be on VeganMoFo's official RSS feed, but oh well.



I feel like I spent a majority of my day cooking. After about 30 minutes of doing school, I got bored and decided to make some multi-grain bread instead. I used this recipe, making it vegan by replacing the milk with soy milk, honey with brown rice syrup, and egg with 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds mixed with 3 tbsp water. Also, I didn't have millet so I used quinoa and sesame seeds instead (I left out the flaxseeds on the topping, as it was included in the "egg"). I haven't eaten it yet, but it looks beautiful.


For dinner, I made corn fritters with a peanut dipping sauce and Indonesian fried rice, both recipes from the book Meatless Gourmet: Favorite Recipes from around the World. It was a fantastic meal and turned out much better than I had thought it would.




2 comments:

  1. Ooooh I'd love a bite of that bread! And your corn fritters... YUM! I'm still looking for a good vegan recipe but don't have the book. Going to see if it's online somewhere!

    And thumbs up for joining VeganMoFo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find a recipe soon! I would post the one I used, but I never feel like it's okay to post recipes that aren't my own.
    And thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete