Sunday, October 21, 2012

VeganMoFo Days 19, 20, and 21: Spinach Tofu Frittata



I'm very disappointed in myself for going several days without posting here (and for my last several posts being incredibly lame). I am so busy, it's not even funny anymore. I cannot wait for this month to be over and for things to start calming down again! Today was the first time I had the opportunity to cook an actual meal, with a side dish and everything, in what feels like forever. I made stuffed peppers using this recipe, only I used barley instead of rice, and dried herbs instead of fresh (fresh herbs are one thing I really miss about summer); I added some diced onions to the filling too. As a side dish, I made this frittata, mostly because I was looking for a creative way to add protein to my meal. I used Isa's recipe for Asparagus and Sun-dried Tomato Frittata from her book Vegan With A Vengeance as a general guideline, but I changed it enough that I feel okay posting it online. It was absolutely wonderful. I'd never had a frittata before I was vegan, so I'm not sure how close this is to the real thing, but even if it's not, it's still a great dish. It works well as a side, but I could imagine it'd be good for breakfast too.

Spinach Tofu Frittata
  • 1 package firm or extra firm tofu (about 14 oz), drained and pressed
  • 3/4 tbsp soy sauce, tamari, or Bragg's
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 2 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 package frozen spinach (about 5 oz), defrosted with excess liquid drained
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp olive oil

1) Preheat oven to 400°F.

2) In a large bowl, crumble tofu with your fingers, squishing it until it looks sort of like ricotta cheese. Add soy sauce, mustard, and nutritional yeast and mix well.

3) In a non-stick skillet (if you have an 8-inch oven safe skillet, use that! If not, that's fine), heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onions are soft and slightly transparent.

4) Add spinach and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in thyme, turmeric, and lemon juice and remove from heat.


5) Add onion mixture to tofu and stir to combine.


6) If you used an oven-safe skillet, then place tofu in the skillet and firmly mash it down. If you used a regular pan, then place the tofu in a pie dish and firmly mash it down.


7) Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. Set oven to broil setting and bake for another 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm.


Serves 4



And here is a photo of my kitten Boo, because he is cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment