Saturday, October 6, 2012

VeganMoFo Day Five: Shepherd's Pie for One

I had very busy day! I started the morning babysitting, had a short break in the afternoon where I cooked lunch and tried to do some school, then went to my first driver's ed class, and finally ended the day by going to see Anything Goes at a local theater production group. I am exhausted and writing this at midnight, so I apologize for any mistakes (which are always regrettable when writing a recipe..). I normally make a full-sized shepherd's pie but I cut it down to a single-serving today.

Shepherd's Pie for One

  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
  • 3 baby carrots or 1/2 carrot
  • 2 tsp ketchup or tomato paste
  • 2 tsp Bragg's, soy sauce, or tamari
  • 1 tbsp broth
  • dash of thyme
  • dash of marjoram
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup seitan, chopped (baked tofu or a chicken substitute would work too)
  • 1 tbsp vegan cheddar "cheese", shredded (optional)
  • 1-2 tbsp peas
  • 1 tbsp chopped walnuts
  • 1 potato or small sweet potato, mashed
  • dash of paprika


1) Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 375°. 

2) Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat.  Add garlic, onion, and carrots and cook until carrots are soft, about 5 minutes.  



3) Stir in ketchup, Bragg's, broth, thyme, marjoram, salt, and pepper, and cook for about 1 minute.


4) Spoon the mixture into a small greased oven-safe dish (I used 380ml dish, or 1 2/3 cups) 


5) Stir in the seitan, peas, walnuts, and vegan cheese, if using.  

5) Spread the mashed potatoes on top, then sprinkle with paprika.

6) Bake until the potato is hot and beginning to get crisp, about 20-25 minutes. Let cool for several minutes before eating.


flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment