Tuesday, October 16, 2012

VeganMoFo Day Sixteen: Sugar-Free Stuffed Baked Apples


I have to admit that I didn't make these, but my mom did. And I'm not gonna lie, it was really nice to wake up to the aroma of baked apples filling the house. They were remarkably sweet, and I actually didn't believe her at first when she said there was any sugar in them at all (not even syrup!). I ate mine by itself and it was great that way, however, you could top it with some apple butter or maple butter or granola or vegan whipped cream or ice cream if you'd like. The recipe is originally from the book More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally; I have mixed feelings about that book because every time I've made something from it, it's been disgusting, but whatever my mom makes is fantastic. She did change the amounts a bit, which is surprising for her, because she always follows recipes religiously. And I'm glad she did, because the apples were perfect!


Also, on a side note, most exciting thing that happened in Maine today (or like, in 14 years) was a 4.6 earthquake, with the epicenter five miles from my home. It was pretty crazy! I've never experienced an earthquake until now. My poor kitties are still terrified though, two hours later. :(


Sugar-Free Stuffed Baked Apples

  • 4 apples
  • 1 cup apple cider (or juice)
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, etc.)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg

1) Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly oil an 8x8-inch baking dish or other dish large enough to hold 4 apples.

2) Core the apples from the top, stopping 1 inch from the bottom.  Peel the top quarter section of each apple. Put the apples in the baking dish, and pour the juice over them.


3) Mix the raisins, nuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl.  Spoon the mixture into the apples and sprinkle any leftover filling in the bottom of the baking dish.


4) Cover the apples with a sheet of parchment paper and overwrap with aluminum foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Uncover the dish and baste the apples with the pan juices. Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until the apples are tender but not mushy. The total baking time will depend of the variety of apple.


5) Remove the baking dish from the oven. Serve the apples warm, spooning some of the pan juice over each.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I've been baking apples lately and they are so good -- adding raisins is a great idea, to take the place of sugar! I baked some quartered apples and onions today for a side dish and they were good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! :) I know, baked apples are fantastic. And oh, I haven't had apples and onions in such a long time - I definitely need to make some soon!

      Delete