This is probably one of the simplest breakfasts I make. While I do still love my other pancake recipe, this one is truly my favorite. Not only is it easy to make and incredibly delicious, it's gluten-free and totally healthy! The pancakes are soft and fluffy and taste remarkably like banana bread. Bananas are the sugar-free vegan's savior, because they're so sweet that you almost never need to use an additional sweetener (for example, banana ice cream - way better tasting than any non-dairy ice cream you can buy, and all naturally sweetened). I usually add chopped walnuts and occasionally chocolate chips, but feel free to add a spoonful of any nut butter, different types of nuts or candies, or really anything you can imagine - it's a good recipe to experiment with! Eating these pancakes is the perfect way to start the day!
Four Ingredient Banana Bread Pancakes
- 1 medium banana
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- optional: 1 tablespoon each nuts, chocolate chips, carob chips, etc.
1) In a small bowl, mash the banana with the back of a fork until it's as smooth as you can possibly get it. Stir in flaxseed, vanilla, baking powder, and optional fillings until combined.
2) Lightly oil a non-stick frying pan and warm over medium heat. Pour batter into three pancakes (or you could try cooking one giant one, but it won't flip well) and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until the underside is cooked. Flip and cook for several more minutes.