Thursday, September 27, 2012

Black Bean Soup


First off, I am very upset with myself for going so long without posting anything here. I've been so busy with the start of the schoolyear and everything that fall brings that I've barely had time to cook, much less take pictures and write out recipes. Anyway, when I went vegan a few years ago, this was one of the first recipes I ever made, and I have made it innumerable times since then. I also eventually changed the recipe completely, perfecting it over time. It's actually pretty similar to the black bean soup at Panera Bread (which, by the way, is vegan!). I could basically live off this soup, especially with a side of warm bread and salad topped with a delicious maple-balsamic dressing! 

Black Bean Soup
  • 3 cans black beans, drained
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth or vegan chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 1/2 tbsp water
  • 1 1/2 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • salt, to taste





1) Bring broth to a boil and prepare vegetables.

2) Reduce to medium heat, add vegetables, and cook 6-8 minutes. Add 1 can of beans and cook another 5 minutes.  

3) Transfer to blender and blend on high about 30 seconds.  Add cumin and cornstarch mixture, then blend 10 seconds.  

4) Return soup to pan and add remaining 2 cans of beans.  Add lemon juice and salt and simmer 10 minutes.



view more photos here

No comments:

Post a Comment