Thursday, January 31, 2013

Vegan Andes Mints

I don't know what has happened lately that's caused to me to suddenly stop posting here! I really need to get back into the habit soon! I've had this recipe ready to post for a while, but I was just waiting for it to be a little closer to Valentine's Day, because really, what's a better way to win a vegan's heart than with homemade chocolate mints (hint, hint)? 

I'm not gonna lie, Andes Mints are one of the few foods I've missed an awful lot since going vegan. They were absolutely delicious, such a fantastic combination of rich, sweet flavors. And they always were such a nice surprise, showing up at unexpected places (on top of pillows at hotels, with the receipt at Olive Garden, etc.). After three years without being eating an Andes Mint, I finally decided it was time to make my own. At first, it seemed like a pretty easy task, but there was a problem! The middle layer is white chocolate. I know there's vegan white chocolate brands available online (none are available in stores in my area), but I have never had to special order ingredients and I really don't want to ever have to. I thought maybe I could make my own white chocolate, but every recipe I found required cocoa butter, another ingredient I would have to order. So I gave up. But a couple weeks ago, I decided I would make something totally unlike white chocolate and use it instead - and, to my delight, it turned out to be very much like white chocolate! It doesn't necessarily have the same appearance as white chocolate, but it has a very similar smell and taste (well, until you add the peppermint, of course). Of course, I didn't ate white chocolate very often in my pre-vegan days, so maybe it's not as similar as I claim it it...however, it's delicious, and that makes it worth trying! As for the chocolate layer, recipe credit goes to the lovely Chocolate-Covered Katie.

Vegan Andes Mints

Chocolate Layer
  • 1/4 cup cocoa (or carob) powder
  • 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp peppermint extract

White Chocolate Layer
  • 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
  • 1 tablespoon sifted soya powder or soy milk powder
  • 1 tablespoon organic powdered sugar or 1 tablespoon stevia for baking (such as Stevia In The Raw Bakers Bag)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp peppermint extract

1) Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Place in freezer to keep cool. 

2) In a small bowl, mix together chocolate ingredients until completely smooth. Remove pan from freezer, then spread about one half of the chocolate into the pan, making a square about 5 or 6 inches long. Place in freezer for at least 10 minutes.

3) Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix together white chocolate ingredients until completely smooth, being sure to sift the soya powder. Remove pan from freezer (assuming it's been there for 10 minutes already) and carefully spread all of the white chocolate on top of the regular chocolate. Immediately put back in the freezer and leave for another 10 minutes.

4) Finally, once the time is up, remove from freezer once more, and cover with remaining chocolate. Then put it back in the freezer and freeze for 10 minutes, or until it's completely solid.

5) When you cut the chocolate, use a very sharp, large knife (such as a butcher's knife) and cut it in quick movements.  It will crack, as you can see in my pictures, but hey, it tastes good and that's what really matters, right? If you happen to have some green foil and lots of patience, you can wrap up these cute little chocolate to look just like real Andes mints. Whatever you decide to do, you must keep these frozen because they melt pretty quickly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment