Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Orange-Banana Smoothie


I have to admit that, even though I live in Maine, I don't like winter. I mean, I enjoy cold weather and snow for a week or two, but by the time Christmas is over, I'm ready for spring. There's something about walking through the icy snow to get into a freezing car in the morning that just isn't pleasant. So on particularly cold days I usually end up subconsciously making summery drinks. Such as today, when I made this drink. I don't know what to call it. It's almost similar to an Orange Julius, but then again, maybe I'm wrong, since I've only had one once in my life and it was several years ago. It is just sweet enough and the lemon and vanilla add some nice subtle flavors. I was really pleased at how foamy it became after blending it for a minute or two. You can feel free to add ground flaxseeds or protein powder if you'd like.


Orange-Banana Smoothie
  • 1 banana, sliced
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1 cup nondairy milk
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup ice

1) In a food processor or blender, puree banana for one minute or until smooth. 

2) Blend in orange juice and nondairy milk until combined. 

3) Add maple syrup, lemon juice, and a vanilla and pulse several times to combine.

4) Add ice and blend for 1 to 2 minutes, until no chunks of ice remain. 

Serves 2 to 3


No comments:

Post a Comment