Thursday, January 24, 2013

Almond Butter


I suppose I should make up some excuses as to why I haven't made a post in almost two weeks - I've been busy with school, I've had an awful ear infection, I've been making meals out of my new cookbooks I got for Christmas rather than making up my own recipes to post, I've had a food blogger's version of writer's block, I'm actually just incredibly lazy, etc. I really have been cooking even more than usual lately, thanks to my newfound love, Veganomicon. I adore that cookbook and I have no idea what I used to do without it! There are so many fantastic recipes, with so many helpful tips and tools (the sections on how to cook grains and beans has saved me from much Google searching). Almost every recipe includes good ideas as to what would be good served with the specific meal you're cooking; there's even a menu section in the back with pre-planned meal ideas, with entrees, sides, soups, salads, desserts, and everything. This is definitely my favorite cookbook, and everything I've made so far has been great.


I've also been enjoying using my new food processor, and I use it at least once a day for something. Such as: 


Almond Butter


  • 4 to 6 ounces/1 to 2 cups (really as much as you want) raw or roasted almonds

So this is what I did: In my food processor, I ground up the nuts on a high speed until it turned into a sort of powder. I changed it to a medium speed and let it go for 10 to 15 minutes — it will thicken, then turn into a ball, and, eventually, right when you're about to give up because you think you did something wrong, it will magically transform into a smooth butter. Store in a jar in the refrigerator.

This is a pretty versatile recipe, and you can use most other types of nuts. You can also add salt (or just use salted nuts) or some syrup. 


Had I known I was going to post this recipe, I would have taken photos of each step in the process, but I didn't. Thankfully, someone else already did.




I won't be taking another long break for a while! I already have several chocolate recipes ready in time for Valentines Day. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment