Friday, August 31, 2012

Seasonal Veggies with Garbanzo Beans and Couscous



Today I went to the farmer's market in Freeport for the first time. Despite the fact that it rained for a while, it was still a very enjoyable experience. I am so upset with myself because, even though I remembered to bring my camera, I somehow forget its battery at home, so I couldn't take any photos. All of the veggies were beautiful though, in so many different colors. The market itself had a really good variety - a perfect mixture of food and non-food products. I also bought some Lucy's Granola* to snack on, which was crunchy and delicious. When I got home, I made this for dinner, using the veggies I had just bought. It's very flavorful, which is almost surprising, considering it's such a quick and easy meal to make. It's also very good with some locally made bread served on the side!


Seasonal Veggies with Garbanzo Beans and Couscous
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
  • 1 large tomato, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 14.5 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • approximately four servings of couscous (or rice, quinoa, etc. for a gluten-free version)

1) Prepare couscous or other grain according to package directions. Set aside.

2) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. 


3) Once the oil is warm, place potatoes in pan and cook until tender (which will take a while!), adding more oil if needed.  

4) Transfer cooked potatoes to a bowl and set aside.

5) Heat remaining tablespoon oil in the pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and basil, and cook until the onion is soft and slightly transparent.


6) Add tomato, pepper, and beans to pan, and cook until all ingredients are soft.


7) Stir in potatoes and sprinkle with as much salt and pepper as you want.

8) Serve over the finished couscous.

Serves 4



view more photos here

 *contains honey


No comments:

Post a Comment