Sunday, November 11, 2012

Pumpkin Muffins (Refined Sugar-Free)

 
So this morning - a Saturday - I woke up early without meaning to, and randomly had too much energy to fall back asleep. And this is weird because 1) I don't wake up early on Saturdays and 2) I don't have energy when I wake up early on Saturdays. But I thought I'd make the most of my time, so I baked these muffins, then cleaned the kitchen and some of the house, and painted a picture, and basically just had a productive morning. The muffins are really good. I'll admit it's pretty much the pumpkin muffin recipe in Vegan With A Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, just with a bit of tweaking to make it with unrefined sugars. The turbinado sugar is optional, so feel free to omit it and the molasses if you don't eat sugarcane products at all. I think if you wanted to add some chocolate chips or carob chips to the batter, it definitely wouldn't hurt.


Pumpkin Muffins (Refined Sugar-Free)

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • dash of salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/8 tsp cloves
  • 5/6 cup agave nectar or maple syrup (okay, weird measurement, I know...just do your best)
  • 1 cup pureed pumpkin (fresh or canned)
  • 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil or other mild-tasting oil
  • 2 tbsp molasses
  • 1/4 cup turbinado sugar, optional

1) Preheat oven to 375° and lightly oil a twelve-muffin tin.

2) In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Set aside.


3) In a medium bowl, mix together the agave, pumpkin, non-dairy milk, oil, and molasses.


4) Add pumpkin mixture to flour and mix until completely combined and batter is smooth.


5) Pour batter into muffin tins (fill each tin about 3/4 full). If using turbinado sugar, sprinkle about 1/2 to 1 tsp on each muffin.


6) Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. 


Serves 12





No comments:

Post a Comment